Thursday, July 2, 2009

Birthday Trip '09

I had intended to post from my birthday vacation in May, but had no internet access from the hotel I was staying at, so didn't get around to it. Better late than never, eh?


Anyway, the day after my 32nd birthday, I headed out for Nye Beach, in Newport, to spend a couple of quiet days at the Sylvia Beach Hotel.






This is a rather unique and quirky hotel geared toward book lovers, with each room themed after a different author, and a cozy reading library overlooking the ocean.






I stayed in the Edgar Allan Poe room... which was small, but extremely evocative of his writing. There was a lot of wind that weekend that rattled the windows as well, which only added to the ambiance.








After a couple of days with a stack of books, and a whole lot of solitude, I headed into Newport proper and visited some shops, the Oregon Coast Aquarium, and the Rogue Brewery, before turning northward and heading home (via Tillamook, where I naturally had to stop for some white licorice ice cream!).



Not an overly exciting or exotic vacation.... but it was a relaxing and much-needed break, and a lovely way to spend my birthday week!

No comments: